Under the Treasurer's Instructions (TI5) South Australian Government agencies are obliged to recover all debts, including the overpayment of employee salaries.
The process for recovering overpayments is outlined in Determination 6: Recovery of Overpayments, issued by the Commissioner for Public Sector Employment.
This Determination standardises the way overpayments are handled and processed for all employees under the Public Sector Act 2009.
In summary, Determination 6: Recovery of Overpayments instructs the following:
- Where an overpayment is $50 or less, make an automatic deduction from the employee's next pay.
- Where an overpayment is greater than $50, make reasonable attempts to negotiate repayment arrangements.
- In the absence of a repayment agreement, make a unilateral deduction at the rate of at least 10% of the employee's nett fortnightly salary. The employee will be given due notice prior to this occurring.
- Overpayments should be repaid within a five year period.
- If an employee determines the repayment arrangement would cause them undue hardship, they can make alternative arrangements via their agency human resources department who will then liaise with Shared Services SA.
- Outstanding overpayments without a repayment arrangement in place will be handled according to the new procedures.
These procedures apply regardless of the circumstances and causes (employee error, agency error or payroll processing error) surrounding the overpayment.
If you notice that you have been overpaid, inform Payroll Services as soon as possible.